From Scribble, To Screen, Then Shirt. The Baydream Co Logo Is Born

I did it! I have finally committed to my logo! After about a month of working part on and off I decided to dedicate all of last week to focus on it full time and push it over the finish line, and I am glad I did. I am happy with the final outcome. I think I could have come up with a finished design sooner, although I let fear hold me back slightly. Looking back now I feel that this was a healthy amount of fear, I am glad that I did not rush this process as I was sure to explore every possible option I could think of before committing to one. If I have learnt anything thought this journey of starting my own business over the past three years, it is that patience will always get you there, and often it will get you further than your expectations. Much like coming up with a brand name, it was something that I was thinking about from day one, but it wasn’t until early last year that I decided on the name Baydream Co. That was two and a bit years after I started into working on the business, after this time the right name just came naturally, of course required a lot of dedicated thought and hundreds of names before I got the right one, but by allowing that time it meant when I came up with the right name it fitted perfectly. Knowing this I felt it was important not to rush the logo, although I did not want it to take two years again so I tried to be a little more strategic with my approach. By doing this I feel that I have achieved a well-balanced natural logo that I hope can stand the test of time. I document my thoughts in a diary, this way I am able to track my progress from week to week or month to month. Through doing this, but without being aware of it, I created a brief for myself which I have subconsciously been working towards.

The brief reads: [Create a coherent brand that has a good stance, with a strong set of core values that will enable community building. It is important to remain adaptable. Be sure to explore all the different elements, experiment with a lot of different versions and create thumbnails to enable the deciding of the strongest concepts.]

It was a vague brief that left my thoughts open to exploring all of the possibilities. From here I went on to narrow my exploration down to what I felt were some of the more fundamental elements of the Baydream Community brand. A detailed look into my thought process at this stage can be found in my blog post ‘logo development: series three, elements’. Looking back to that post now, I can see that it was a critical step in my design process. Quite early on I discovered that I kept coming back to the same elements to build the composition. Rather than focusing on the final composition of the logo, I decided to break it down into the different elements that I found the most relevant, I then explored the shape and form that made up each element. Through taking the time to do this I was able to provide more depth to my brief. After I completed this stage I thought it was important to let the concepts brew and develop in my mind, so I closed the book and began work on other branding elements. After about a week of not working on the logo I decided to open the book and revisit the design, this time I decided to set a deadline of one week to complete the design, which helped to give focus and structure to my week. To start the week I began sketching with pen and paper again, progressing to painting with ink and a brush, this allowed me to formulate my ideas in a fluid way but by using pens and ink it meant that I had to be intentional with the marks that I was making. Once I felt that I had enough concepts I took the strongest of those to begin development on my computer, when I brought the concepts into design software I already had a final composition in mind, so this stage was all about perfecting the shape and form to realise the strongest design. I spent about three days making adjustments and tweaks before asking friends and family for feedback. After receiving feedback I spent one final day putting the finishing touches to the design with consideration to the feedback I received. As soon as I was happy with the outcome I decided to commit to my logo. I can’t think of a better way to display this commitment other than printing it on a T-shirt, so I began to make up a screen straightaway, then I picked a tee and mixed up the ink. Once I had everything prepared I handprinted the logo onto the shirt, creating the first ever Baydream tee. I can’t explain how satisfying it felt to pull that squeegee across the screen, to then lift the screen and reveal the printed logo on the tee. I also made a video documenting this process.

IMG_7808.JPG
IMG_7808 copy.jpg
nathan cranstonComment